Monday, June 18, 2012

Haunted House

This is another game that I never really played through as a kid. A friend of mine had the game but I never spent enough time over there to really get into it.  It always looked cool, though, and I really wanted to give a try.  This time, I tried to just jump right in and give it a go, but I was totally lost and died a whole bunch of times.  It wasn't until I found a copy of the manual and read through it that I figured out how it's supposed to work.

As with most Atari adventure games, the main goal is to collect three pieces of an item.  In Superman it was a bridge, in E.T. it was the phone and this time it's an urn.  The pieces are spread around a mansion with 4 floors and 6 rooms per floor.  Trying to stop you are a tarantula, a bat and a ghost.  There is also a key that will let you through any door and a rod which will make you immune to the creatures.  The goal is to collect the urn and return it to the front doors and exit the house.

Sounds easy, right?  At the easier levels it is.  The game has 9 difficulty levels which progress as follows:

  • Level 1 - The walls are lit up, there are no locked doors and there are three creatures.
  • Level 2 - Walls are dark, no locked doors, three creatures
  • Level 3 - Like 2 except: Some doors are locked but the key is in the first room.
  • Level 4 - Like 3 except: Random key placement.
  • Level 5 - Like 4 except: 3 spiders giving a total of 5 creatures.
  • Level 6 - Like 5 except: All 5 creatures chase you from room to room, ghost can pass through locked doors.
  • Level 7 - If you're touched by the bat, you drop your item and it moves somewhere random in the mansion.
  • Level 8 - Like 7 except: Creatures are faster and ghost is immune to the rod.
  • Level 9 - Like 8 except: New House layout and all 5 creatures pass through locked doors. 

Though you're given 9 lives in which to accomplish the goal, I decided that "beating the game" would mean defeating each difficulty level without dying.  This ended up being substantially harder than I thought it would.  Screenshots of this game really don't do it justice.  They just show a pair of eyes in a dark room, but the game is actually pretty tense.  Especially when you have the urn completed and you're carefully opening doors and hoping there are no creatures in the next room.  There were a couple of times that I got to the ground floor and just decided to run like hell for the exit.  The one thing that would be an improvement to this game would be a final difficulty level that would be just like Level 9 but where the locked doors are random.  I can imagine that this might cause problems or even impossible games (i.e. the key is locked inside a room) but I imagine you could write an algorithm to ensure the game is solvable before starting it.

I knew from my limited experience with the game as a kid that it was fun, but now that I've had the chance to sit down and really get to know it, I have to say that it's now one of my favorite games for the Atari 2600.  Highly recommended.

Searching the spooky old house.
AAA!  A ghost!
AAA!  A tarantula!
Making a getaway with the urn.

No comments:

Post a Comment