Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Superman

Another game from 1979 and one of my earliest gaming memories.  It's not a great game, but I remember it being kinda fun.  At the beginning of the game, Lex Luthor blows up a bridge in Metropolis.  The idea then is to collect the three parts of the bridge to rebuild it and catch Luthor and his four henchmen and put them back in jail.  Making this more difficult are 3 kryptonite satellites which will keep you from flying or picking up items.  If you're touched by one then you must kiss Lois Lane, who is also wandering around, in order to regain your powers.  Random, huh?

After playing through the game once I managed to finish in 611 seconds, just over 10 minutes.  I figured, if I can get it done in half the time, 300 seconds, I would consider the game "completed".

After finishing the game a few times, I was able to complete my goal, however, it felt a little too easy.  After playing with the difficulty settings however, I found something that made it feel more satisfying.  When the "B" difficulty setting is changed Lois no longer appears near you when the satellites touch you.  Having to walk around the game looking for Lois turns a minor inconvenience into a major annoyance.


Soaring over Metropolis!
Luthor is escaping!

It took a few more playthroughs to really start to get a grasp on what the map looked like.  I found that the subway screen with the pink background was right next to the jail.  And the bridge location was down one screen and left one screen from the jail.  After figuring out a few more shortcuts like this and having a lucky break with the satellites I was finally able to beat the game again at less than 300 seconds.  My new record, 250 seconds.
 

Lois and Clark
Level complete!
Overall, the game is a bit repetitive and I can't see a lot of replay value once you've done it in as short an amount of time as you're willing to call "done".  It's fun to play a few times, but I'm pretty much done with it.  Thanks for all the happy memories Superman, it's time to retire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment